It was a truly horrific death,” states SHARK investigator Stuart Chaifetz. “That horse was cruelly and illegally shocked. People think rodeos are entertainment, but they are not. Rodeos are brutal, vicious events where animals are tortured, and sometimes, as in this case, they are killed.”The type of shocking device used on the horse can deliver about 10,000 volts of electricity.
Miller Manufacturing, makers of the prod have clearly stated previously that the devices are not to be used in a rodeo environment, and are never supposed to be used on horses under any circumstance. Rodeos, such as Cowtown, regularly use the electric prods to make tame, domesticated horses appear wild from pain.“The shocking of horses destroys the myth that the horses are athletes who want to buck,” states Chaifetz. “These animals literally have to be tortured to get them to perform, and that is absolutely animal abuse.”
To add to the horse’s suffering, as he was lying on the ground, one of the “cowboys” grabbed him by the tail and pulled it to drag the horse’s body back. At the exact time that happened, the announcer said that they treated the animals the same as they do the cowboys and cowgirls.After the horse’s legs were tied, the horse was rolled over onto a dirty wood sled. The horse was then dragged across the arena as dirt piled up along his head.
Tragedy struck at the famous Cowtown Rodeo in New Jersey this weekend when one of the horses died during a live performance … and animal rights activists say there’s evidence the horse was electrocuted.
The rodeo — which has been running since 1929 — came to a screeching halt when a 9-year-old horse named Duke came bucking out of the gate Saturday … only to collapse after experiencing what appeared to be a seizure.
After the horse went down, staffers raced to its side as Duke died in front of the live crowd. Duke was eventually carted away.
After the incident, the animal rights group SHARK — Showing Animals Respect and Kindness — says one of its members was in attendance and witnessed Duke being secretly shocked by an electric device right before he was released from the gate in order to get Duke to buck more wildly.
The SHARK member shot footage of the incident — which shows someone holding a “Hot shot” electric prod in Duke’s holding gate.
Cowtown insists Duke’s death was as natural as it gets due to an “aneurysm of his aorta blood vessel.”
The rodeo explains, “Our vet has assured us that this had nothing to do with the rodeo event and it is a natural (although rare) occurrence to have a horse pass from this reason.”
However, when we called Cowtown owner Grant Harris — who also owned Duke — he told us the device in Duke’s pen DID appear to be a “hot shot” … but says everyone at the rodeo is under strict orders to NEVER use the prod on a horse.
Harris notes that in the video … the device does not appear to ever touch Duke.
TMZ has covered this and the running poll they have, asking if rodeos should be banned, has already received more than 42,000 votes!
Published on 5 Jul 2013
On June 29, 2013, a horse began to die 25 seconds after being electro-shocked at the Cowtown Rodeo in Pilesgrove, NJ. This video exposes the electro-shocking and brutal treatment of the horse once he fell to the ground.
To watch the previous video of horses being shocked at the Cowtown Rodeo, go to this link:
Cowtown Rodeo Caught Shocking Horses
Reno Rodeo Again Violates its No-Shock Promise
The images depict one individual holding a horse’s tail up, while a second individual applies a large electric prod to the genital area of the horse.
“Reno Rodeo Association President, John Tipton is responsible for allowing this abuse,”states SHARK president Steve Hindi. “Banning cameras gave rodeo personnel a green light to continue the abuse. Cruelty charges should be filed, but it seems that no one in any level of authority within law enforcement or the legislature cares about the animal abuse.”
Rodeos like to say that they are a “sport,” but if they were, there would be an oversight agency, as most sports have, to investigate violations and take action. Instead, what we have is the PRCA, more of a hack PR firm than regulatory body, and we know this because if the PRCA was really concerned about protecting animals, then they would have filed numerous penalties against the Reno Rodeo, as well as all the other rodeos SHARK has exposed, including Cowtown.
Please note that everything Ellie Lopez-Bowlan stated is true and SHARK has the evidence from her video to prove it.
Horse is electrocuted
Published on 8 Jul 2013
For the third year in a row, the Reno Rodeo has been caught shocking horses, in spite of repeated promises that this obvious abuse will not happen. Over and over the Reno Rodeo Association claims that those responsible will not be allowed back. “Those responsible” are from the Flying U Rodeo Company, although the rodeo association refuses to admit it.
The Reno Rodeo Association is sanctioned by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA). Although the shocking of the horse in this video is a flagrant violation of PRCA humane rules, those rules exist for public relations purposes only – a marketing scam.
Unethical corporate sponsors of the Reno Rodeo include Coca-Cola, Dodge, Coors, Jack Daniels and Les Schwab Tires.