“Please, if you care about wild animals being exploited for entertainment & money, take action & send an email to the links below; I don’t know about you, but I am sick of being hoodwinked! The BRITISH Government are stalling for some reason, whilst other Countries (even those known for their poor welfare of animals) have managed a ban….why not England?? All those in government need to watch the video at the end of this post, even though posted in 2010, little has changed, for animals are still being beaten into submission by cruel trainers, taking their own frustrations out, on sentient beings, who can’t speak about the abuse. Circuses are interested only in the money their animal performances bring in, which brings horrific suffering to those entrusted to entertain…THE ENGLISH GOVERNMENT HAVE TO HONOUR THEIR PROMISE OF A BAN ON WILD ANIMALS IN CIRCUSES ASAP…I only feel total empathy & sorrow for those sentient beings left, like horse & dogs etc. Who will still suffer the abuse, confinement & training of circus life; it’s heartbreaking to see horses with stereotypical behaviour!”
“All circus animals live a life of abuse, confinement & constant beatings (often for no reason, other than the trainer feels like letting off some personal steam) just to entertain the public…which is simply not right & should be banned ASAP! Personally I don’t think any animal wild or domesticated animal, should be used & abused for monetary gain; all animals should be banned from circuses!! They don’t belong in solitary confinement, with repetitive beatings… simply going stir crazy, because they are so distressed… pacing back & forth in cramped cages, no animal deserve to suffer this stereotypic behaviour??PERIOD!”
“I would so love to see those who beat the animals, get a taste of their own medicine! But then, as is usual, any animal that attacks a human (irrelevant of the constant beatings it has endured over the years etc) will ultimately be shot; can no one see why these animals attack? They are mentally broken, beaten & humiliated….I wouldn’t blame any animal that struck back at its human trainer….perhaps if the animals were not so scared of the beatings, there would be more!!
“Those who watch the video & or still choose to go to circuses etc; are on the wrong blog! There is nothing here for those who don’t understand the suffering these sentient beings endure, at the hands of humans! If you have no interest in helping animals & sticking up for the voiceless…PLEASE…bog off from my blog!!!”
The Born Free Foundation has been working steadily for many years for an end to the use of wild animals in circuses.
In the UK, we participated in a government-convened Circus Working Group in the late 1990s and again in 2006. We have investigated and exposed the treatment of wild animals in circuses on many occasions, and helped to relocate animals from circuses to better conditions.
Numbers of circuses with wild animals and the number of wild animals used by circuses have declined in recent years but we consider that a ban on wild animals in circuses across the UK is long overdue. A travelling circus environment simply cannot provide for the needs of wild animals.
Dear Supporters and Friends
I was shocked when I discovered that the ban on wild animals in travelling circuses in England was not mentioned in the Queen’s Speech in June 2014. I am sure you are as disappointed as I am. But I will certainly not give up. There is still a slim chance that the Government could make the dream of a ban a reality – but I need your immediate help.
It is vital that the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister hear from compassionate citizens as a matter of urgency and I am, therefore, asking you to take 5 minutes to contact them, urging them to ensure that a ban is introduced by Government as a priority.
The key points to make in your letter or email are:
- The Government made a commitment to bring in a ban on wild animals in travelling circuses in England in March 2012, and has repeatedly confirmed their commitment ever since.
- There is now a very limited window of opportunity for the government to make good on its promise of a ban within this session of Parliament. Parliament is scheduled to be dissolved at the end of March 2015.
- Draft legislation to ban has already been introduced in Parliament. This legislation is not considered to be controversial, has the overwhelming support of Parliamentarians, and could progress quickly through Parliament.
- There is strong public support for a ban which would be a quick and easy “win” for this Government.
- Any delay in bringing in a ban in England could reduce the chances of bringing in bans in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
- Leading animal protection organisations including the Born Free Foundation, RSPCA, the Captive Animals’ Protection Society, and the British Veterinary Association are all agreed that a ban is long overdue.
- Quite simply, a ban is the right thing to do in a compassionate society that cares about animals and we must not let this opportunity be lost!
Please help and take five minutes to contact the offices of Prime Minister Rt Hon David Cameron MP and the Deputy Prime Minister Rt Hon Nick Clegg MP by following these links:
Or write to them:
The Prime Minister-
10 Downing Street
The Deputy Prime Minister –
Thank you so much for reading this and I do hope you will help.
With all good wishes
NB. If you wish to help Born Free’s ongoing work on captive wild animals, please consider making adonation to assist our Zoo Check campaign
Ugliest Show On Earth
Uploaded on 7 Apr 2010 – ANIMAL DEFENDERS INTERNATIONAL.
The Ugliest Show on Earth report (USoE) and video chart the findings of an 18-month study and investigation into the use of animals in circuses – the most comprehensive study of animals in circuses ever undertaken.
Between 1996 and 1998, ADI undercover Field Officers worked in 13 UK animal circuses and winter quarters, and 5 foreign circuses which were exhibiting animals supplied by UK circus animal suppliers and trainers.
The team of five people involved in the undercover work made observations totalling 7,280 hours. Over 700 hours of videotape was recorded, with nearly 400 hours of this being used in evidence for the prosecutions which followed the publication of the report and release of the video programme of the same name.
The video highlights the main findings of the study and is probably most famous for the shocking scenes of brutality to elephants and chimpanzees at Mary Chipperfield Promotions in Hampshire, UK. These scenes allowed ADI to issue summonses for cruelty to animals which were subsequently taken over by the UKs Crown Prosecution Service, and convictions for cruelty were secured against Mary Chipperfield Cawley, her husband Roger Cawley, and their elephant keeper, Michael Steve Gills.
- Cameron Stands By Wild Animals Circus Ban (news.sky.com)
- Sir Roger Moore and Imelda Staunton Urge the Queen of England to Ban Animal Circuses (onegreenplanet.org)
- Dangerous fun: The circus as workplace (mysafetysign.com)
- UK Prime Minister Promises to Carry Out Ban on Wild Animal in Circuses (onegreenplanet.org)
- Animals still “enduring terrible suffering” in UK circuses (voiceofrussia.com)
- UK Government to Ban Performing Circus Animals (ibtimes.co.uk)
- Circuses to be banned from using wild animals (guardian.co.uk)
- England to ban wild animals at circuses (timesofmalta.com)
- 5 Abuse Cases That Prove We Need to Ban Circuses (onegreenplanet.org)
- Landmark Bill to Outlaw Wild Animals in Traveling Circuses Introduced to Congress! (onegreenplanet.org)